Friday, February 3, 2012

My Original Landscape

For today's Favorite Things Friday, I'm sharing something very special--an original landscape done with acrylics.  It is special for two reasons.  For one, it is just plain beautiful, and two it was made especially for me by my cousin's husband.

When I moved into my present home last spring, I had a large bedroom with no furniture.  I spent time collecting just the right pieces of furniture and then, of course, I had to make a new quilt to cover it.  I've written about my Asian quilt in previous posts.  But the room really needed some art work.

My cousin's husband had dabbled with painting through out his life, but after retirement, took it seriously.  His home is like his own gallery and seeing his work from his early pieces to the present show how much he has grown.

Before I had even finished the quilt, I asked my cousin if Mr. Cousin would consider letting me hire him to do an Asian themed landscape.  "Oh, he's already said that he wants to do a painting for you."  After asking about what he would charge, she said, "For you, nothing."  It was after the holidays before he had time to get to it.

One day, I was talking to my cousin on the phone and I hear in the background.  "Tell her I hate her and her painting."  Mr. Cousin has a great sense of humor and this was his way of saying the painting was really frustrating him.  Anyway, after 3 canvases, much sweat, and I'm wondering about a few tears, the painting is born.

Mr. and Mrs. Cousin brought it over and presented it to me this week.  The painting cost me $1.  That way he can tell others who are trying to get him to paint for him that I commissioned him.










Pretty cool, huh!





10 comments:

  1. The detail on your painting is amazing. I could look at it for hours and keep finding something new. I'd say your cousin's husband has some amazing talent.

    It compliments your beautiful quilt so well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool is right! What a nice present you got. Looks lovely over your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It IS a GORGEOUS painting, and just perfect for the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to have an origional art work & by family ...very talented man

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great present, and wonderful that it was created by a member of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very VERY cool...looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely painting, it will be a true treasure for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He really did a beautiful job. It is perfect in that setting with your quilt on the bed below.

    ReplyDelete