Thursday, January 5, 2012

Wing and a Prayer Session 1

This week I finally began working on the king-sized quilt hat I mentioned in last week's blog using the pattern "Wing and  Prayer".  The pattern features 12 sampler type 12 1/2 inch blocks around a large center block. (See last week's blog).  I bought the pattern over a year ago so I'm glad to get started by making block 1.  It has 51 pieces in it.

With this pattern, there are directions for new techniques that I've not used before.  Now I've read about these techniques in quilt magazines, etc., but these are new to me.  The directions that I had seen previously were not clear enough for me to want to try them.  However, this pattern has explicit written directions and great diagrams.  I LIKE pictures.  I'm wondering if I'm the only quilter out there that does not already use these techniques.  But contrary to popular belief, old dogs can learn new tricks.  It just takes us longer.

The first technique used two 3 1/4 inch squares sewn diagonally with right sides together.  Then they were cut apart to make 2 half square triangles sections.  The squares were then squared to 2 1/2 inches.  This made for a really precision sewn segment.



The next technique was for making flying geese using a large 5 1/2 inch square and 4 3 inch squares. Place two small squares in the opposite corners of the large square.  A diagonal line is drawn from opposite corners, then two seams are sewn 1/4 inch from the drawn line.  The small squares overlap in the center.  The piece is cut along the drawn line.  Press triangles outward. To finish each of the two geese, another 3 inch square is sewn diagonally in the corner of the large square that is left.  Repeat to finish the second flying goose.  Shown here is a unit of two different geese sewn together.


Finally a third technique was used to put triangular corners on a square.  The pattern called it Sew and Flip. A small square is sewn diagonally  on each of the corners of a large square.  The original corners are cut and the new corners are pressed out.


I also discovered how great a new quilting tool is (also bought a year ago)--The Quilt Rule.  It is used for drawing center diagonal lines and 1/4 inch seam lines for pieces like the ones I just described.  How slick!
Sure wish I had taken the time to more fully explore these techniques and  this tool when I first came across them several years ago.  Oh, well, I've got them now.

So now I'm on my way to a new quilt with block 1 being complete.





4 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous block! The Quilt Rule looks like a handy thing. Thanks for showing those techniques. I was familiar with them all except the flying geese one. I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to have a front row seat to watch this quilt grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful and the end result will be gorgeous! I can't wait to see the finished results.

    ReplyDelete