Friday, January 13, 2012

Beyond the Mortal Coil

Thanks Shay for once again hosting Favorite Things Friday for the New Year.  Yes, I know, I'm a week late, but I so look forward to this through out the year.

For this week my favorite thing is a book.  No, not just any book-- one written by  a member of my family.

My late husband spent ten years writing over 20 short stories and 3 novels.  Most of his short stories were published, but, alas, no luck with the novels.  His last novel, "Beyond the Mortal Coil"  was superb.  An editor at Bantam Books reviewed it, praised its writing and originality, but said he could not publish it because it was so original, he didn't know how to market it.  Jeez, you'd think that  publishing companies would want originality.  So the book has languished for five years.

Our family did enjoy the book through the years by having family reading times.  We would all gather and I would read the book aloud.  So this book is not only my favorite thing because of its content, but also because of the great memories of us all sharing it.

Now here is the good part!  My daughter, Michelle, has found a way to self-publish the book as both an e-book and a hard copy through Amazon.  She has worked all week getting it formatted, designing a cover, and getting it set up for sale.  She also was instrumental in the writing of this book acting as writing consultant, doing the typing, editing, and doing the marketing.  I am ecstatic that this novel will finally have a chance to be read by the public.


5 comments:

  1. It's nice to see it finally get its chance all right! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful! I hope it does well. I need to check out the free Kindle for PC download through Amazon this weekend and then will download the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's incredible news. Im so glad this book will be able to be shared with others outside of your family.

    So it seems you're a family of writers - I recall Michelle mentioning that you had written learning texts for kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! such good news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is so wonderful for all of you. I am sure your husband would be thrilled and how beautiful that his daughter got to make this happen. Well done. Very Special.

    ReplyDelete