Monday, January 16, 2012

A Little of This and That

The last week and a half my sewing time has been rather sparse.  Since my daughter has figured out how to self-publish books, I dug out a cookbook that I had written 3-4 years ago and had done nothing with.  So I have been busy proofreading, editing, writing an index, and adding prep. times and cook times.  I think, at last, I'm down to writing an introduction.  Then I'll turn it over to Michelle and let her work her magic.  (Anything too complicated on the computer is pure magic to me).

However, I have been able to finish 3 more blocks for the Wing and a Prayer.  Each one is a new learning experience for me.  One thing this pattern does, is have  you make block units a little larger than the actual size that is needed.  The unit is then trimmed back to a specified size.  For example:  Flying geese come out 1/4" to 1/2" larger than needed.  The directions say to trim each one back to 2 1/2" x 4 1/2".  I made a template that size to speed up the process.  My first thought on doing this was that it wastes fabric, but it does make for a precision sized piece.  My blocks are coming out much more uniform.  I think with blocks this complicated (45-55 pieces each) that it will save me a lot of headaches down the road.  At least that's what I'm telling myself now.

So here is the sum total of my sewing for the past couple of weeks.
                                                Sampler block 2



                                                  Sampler block 3

                                        
                                                  Sampler block 4


I have another on going project that keeps me entertained while I watch TV.  My nephew and wife are expecting their second child in April.  Therefore, something needed to be made for the new little one.  I've been working on a shell stitch baby afghan.  It is about 2/3 done.  When the body is finished, I would like to add a ruffled edge as the new one is to be a girl.  Pink, I think, or maybe a pastel variegated yarn.  I'm still searching for a pattern for the ruffle.



2 comments:

  1. You are so profilic! Beautiful blocks AND afghan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Michelle, beautiful blocks and afghan! I really like those batiks you're using.

    Suzanne, I have so many crochet books from my mom. I never crocheted and don't have the inclination to learn, but I will look through to see if there is a ruffle edge pattern among them. She made baby afghans for all her grandchildren so I know she had patterns. Will let you know.

    I don't know why, but I've "followed" you twice now, but my icon never shows up. Wonder what gives there? A Blogger glitch or something maybe. Perhaps I show up in your Blogger dashboard but not on your page?

    ReplyDelete