Friday, December 9, 2011

Urban Wildlife

Last spring I moved to the city-- Wichita, KS, population 300,000.  The area I moved to has been developed in the last ten to fifteen years with multiple housing developments.  Before that, this area was composed of a horse farm and wheat fields.  As part of a flood control project, each of these developments has its own small lake.  But it was much to my surprise and delight when I began to realize the large wildlife communities living in the city.  My backyard backs up to a 4 lane thoroughfare and yet the variety of animal life continues to thrive.  Here are some of the species that adorn my neighborhood.




One morning I looked out my kitchen window and was able to capture this cardinal pair.  I couldn't get them together as they were too excitable to stay still long enough for me to get them both in one photo.



My camera does not have the greatest of zooms, but these are mallard ducks.  They have been with us all summer.  They are so tame because the neighbors feed them.  They will follow you right into your garage or patio.







The Canadian geese arrived about a month ago.  While it is hard to tell, the geese are standing on the ice.






Why, you may ask, is she showing a brick wall.  The answer is that this is the Squirrel Highway.  It runs about a quarter of a mile down the housing development.  Squirrels, and even the occasional opposum, use it to run back and forth to get from tree to tree or from feeder to feeder.  Why no squirrel?  I'm not fast enough to catch a picture of them.  Maybe someday.

Others in the neighborhood had seen red fox, skunks, and deer.  I'm still on the lookout for these species.

As a new blogger this is so much fun being a part of Shay's Favorite Things Friday.




7 comments:

  1. Fun to watch the wildlife, isn't it? I love seeing the cardinals against the white snow in our backyard. We've got bluejays now too. The problem with the geese is they bring friends--and they keep coming back! (plus, watch your step around that pond, if you know what I mean) Mallards will come back to the same spot for nesting year after year. Enjoy the critters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post Suzanne. We don't get cardinals or Squirrels here so I'm fascinated by them. We have ducks that come onto our front lawn most years to get fed.

    Your back yard looks pretty special. It looks like nobody has fences.Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right. There are no fences along the sides of the properties, just along the backs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanne! I think you live near my Uncle Bob. If you are on the West side of town, that is. ☺ I'm familiar with that side, because my grandparents lived near the corner of 13th & Ridge; and my parents had a home that sat on the corner of Central & Norman, across from Peterson Elementary. What a pretty view to enjoy. One of my favourite things about Wichita is the abundance of wildlife. Your so fortunate to be able to enjoy that every day. Thanks for sharing. Happy FTF! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow - you have some great wildlife there - and so close!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing that so much wildlife abides within the city. Of course, it's pretty lush around here. I especially enjoy the cardinals. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful. I have only seen cardinals on cards etc.

    ReplyDelete